“O Constantinople! Either you will take me or I will take you,”
Mehmed the Conqueror
· Ascended to the throne at the age of 12.
· Sacked Constantinople at the age of 21.
· Mehmed 11 was the architect of victories that inspired fear throughout Europe.
· Deliverer of the death blow to Byzantium.
· Three Popes called for Crusades against him.
· A Renaissance Prince whose court housed Persian and Turkish poets, Arab and Greek astronomers, Italian scholars and artists.
· A tactician supreme, he ordered more than 70 ships over land from the Bosphorus to the Golden Horn.
· A figure unparalleled in the history of military prowess, statecraft and a lover and patron of the arts and sciences.
· Considered the Greatest of all Sultans.